Intern At Writer’s Hive Media
Writer’s Hive Media is a fast-growing online magazine that focuses on topics surrounding creative writing, publishing, and all things books. As an intern at Writer’s Hive, selected candidates can expect to learn the ins and outs of how an online magazine operates, plus gain valuable writing experience and online exposure!
Who Are We Looking For?
We’re seeking passionate writing and book-loving students looking to build experience in the writing, publishing, and journalism fields. Qualified candidates are working on their degrees in creative writing, English, or journalism.
- Must be actively enrolled in a college or university.
- Must be majoring in creative writing, English, journalism, or similar related fields.
- Must be able to provide at least 2 writing samples that embody the style and content on our website. We want to get an idea of your writing ability!
- Must be able to meet hard deadlines.
- Must be willing to hear constructive criticism about your writing, then make the necessary edits for improvement.
- Must be professional, organized, and eager to learn.
- A knowledge of Google Docs, WordPress, and technology in general is a plus but not required.
What Will You Learn As An Intern?
There’s a LOT to learn during your internship at Writer’s Hive Media that goes far beyond writing. Not only will you learn the art of writing about trending topics, but you’ll also develop a strong grasp of how online publications generate revenue and operate on a day-to-day basis.
Below is some of what you’ll learn as an intern at Writer’s Hive.
Online Publication Business Operations
- Learn how online publications are structured.
- Discover how to operate an online publication the “lean way.”
- Understand how online publications generate revenue through affiliates and paid sponsors.
Content Development and Writing
- Learn how we choose content for the website.
- Discover the essential SEO techniques we use to stay relevant.
- Practice writing in a structured format that engages, while also ranks high in search engines.
- Write articles in various categories of our website.
- Learn the basics of search engine optimization for online publications.
- Learn the basics of WordPress and how to update websites like ours.
- Discover how to build brand recognition through collaboration and press marketing.
- Learn the importance of sales for online publications.
- Learn how to put together a media kit.
- Learn how to find leads and do sales pitches.
Writer’s Hive Media only offers internships to actively enrolled students eligible for college/university credit. We accept internship applications on a rolling basis, however, please check with your Internship Coordinator at your school to verify that our internship meets your institution’s requirements for credit. Students will receive 2 to 3 credit hours for completing their internship based on the institution’s requirements.
For University credit purposes, students typically must work at least 126 hours, which equates to about 8 to 9 hours per week throughout a given semester. Students have the option of working remotely or hybrid (hybrid if located in or around Wilmington, NC).
- Expect to receive valuable training on how a real online publication operates.
- Expect to be assigned professionally oriented work that exposes you to the field of writing and publishing.
- Expect to track your hours via a spreadsheet or software.
- Expect to meet one-on-one with the Editor to go over feedback for submitted assignments.
- Expect to conduct research or interviews for articles, depending on the topic.
- Expect to follow any other requirements for your internship that are provided by your institution such as evaluations, final essays, etc.
How To Apply
Please note that we only offer internships to actively enrolled college/university students eligible for credit. Please verify with your institution that this internship would meet the requirements. We may need to contact your institution to fill out paperwork before beginning your internship.
Please fill out the application form below to apply for an internship with us.
"*" indicates required fields